Anna Bligh has firmly rejected speculation that she plans to run in the upcoming Sydney by-election.
Speaking directly to City News, the former Queensland Premier said not only were the rumours untrue, but that she will never again be a politician at any tier of government.
“I can confirm that there is no truth to these suggestions,” said Ms Bligh.
“I will not be a political candidate in any future election at any level of government.”
Ms Bligh said there had been no negotiations with NSW Labor at any stage.
“I have been in Sydney for six days and have had no discussions with any member or representative of the NSW Labor Party either before or after I got here.
“In fact I’ve not even had the chance to discuss transferring my party membership with the NSW office, let alone anything else.”
Ms Bligh would not be drawn on plans for her new life in Sydney but said she was enjoying her time here so far.
“My husband and I are happy to be here, excited to be starting this new phase of our lives and enjoying the glorious springtime weather,” she said.
She will reveal more about her future plans in an exclusive interview with Brisbane radio station ABC 612 this Sunday night.
Ms Bligh’s comments come on the back of a media storm about the prospect of her running in the upcoming Sydney by-election, sparked by a City News report on Wednesday night.
A NSW Labor insider had told City News party bosses were in negotiations with Ms Bligh to run in the state seat after the expected departure of current Member, Lord Mayor Clover Moore MP.
New regulations preventing NSW MPs from sitting on locals councils mean Ms Moore will be forced to vacate the seat if she wins another term as Sydney Lord Mayor in tomorrow’s local government elections.