The College St cycleway / Photo: City of Sydney

Posted by & filed under City News.

College St cycleway to be ripped up

The cycleway on College St in Sydney’s CBD is to be removed as part of the NSW Government’s new plan for CBD transport, unveiled last week. The plan, released by NSW Roads Minister Duncan Gay and NSW Transport Minister Gladys Berejiklian, outlines a strategy for how people will move around the CBD for the next 20 years. The strategy will see the Kent St cycleway extended but the College St cycleway removed, less than three years after it was first opened. “Minister Gay and I believe that this is the best course for the future of an integrated road and transport strategy for the city centre,” said Ms Berejiklian. Under the plan, bus routes will also be redesigned to allow for light rail to run down George St from Circular Quay. Ms Berejiklian said it would lead to 220 fewer buses entering the CBD in peak hours.

Minister responds to ACON petition

NSW Health Minister Jillian Skinner has declined to answer questions about the funding of GLBTI health and wellbeing body ACON, which receives more than $10 million in state funds per year. As reported by Alternative Media Group of Australia titles on September 5, the New AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power (New ACT UP) has launched a Change.org petition calling for the Minister to investigate ACON, which they say is failing to provide practical support to HIV-positive people, and failing to stem new HIV infections. In 2012, 409 new HIV infections were recorded – a 24 per cent jump on the previous year. Ms Skinner declined to answer questions but released a general statement which said: “The NSW Government released NSW HIV Strategy 2012-2015: A New Era last year to refocus efforts to dramatically drive down the number of new HIV infections by increasing testing, treatment and safe sex practices. The ACON Strategic Plan 2013-2018 and ACON HIV Action Plan 2013-2018 show ACON’s commitment to meeting these targets.”